Kent and I on the Plaza

Kent and I on the Plaza

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wednesday, August 24 - EER today

Today we began the 2011-2012 school year with our students.  It was so good to see them!  In my History Mystery class, we spent time talking about different history mysteries and the kids were very interested in the books I had in the room.  We didn't have enough time to start the activity I planned, so I let them peruse the book collection.

In The Poet Tree, we did an activity with "The New Kid on the Block" by Jack Prelutsky.  We talked about the words Prelutsky used to create images in our minds.  At the end of the poem, the students discovered that Prelutsky had tricked them with the image he created. We also talked about the memorization assignment due at the end of the term.

I really believe that memorization is a great mental exercise.  In addition, when we memorized words of beauty and/or meaning, we keep them with us and take them wherever we go.  They cannot be taken from us, but are ours forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment