Kent and I on the Plaza

Kent and I on the Plaza

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part time Indian by Sherman Alexie

I just finished this great book.  I read it so that I could recommend it to my students and discovered that I shouldn't.  I handed it to my seventh grade son and he enjoyed it, but I suggest reading it before recommending it to your middle school child.  You might have objections that I didn't.  Girls might enjoy reading it, but I see it as a strong "boy book."

The Absolutely True Diary of A Part Time Indian is a valuable read.  It addresses the issue of being a "smart kid" and the feelings of isolation that can accompany it.  It addresses the issues of poverty friendship, loyalty, love, and death.  As a teacher, it reminded me of my potential to impact an at-risk student and how hard it is for some students just to attend school.  There are many good reasons to recommend it to teen readers!  I'm so glad I finally picked it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment